Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Oh man where do I even start?! I am writing this of course at midnight after the inauguration due to the fact I passed out for a few hours when I got home and now I am trying to fall asleep again, still exhausted. I will be posting pictures on my facebook and myspace soon, and emailing them to those that have neither. So I woke up at 4:30 thanks to my mom calling me when she woke up in the middle of the night. I started making pancakes and then woke up Val, she she was a little sick the day before so I was letting her sleep. Anyway, I made pancakes and then ate and got ready and we left for the metro at like 5:50 and caught one at six. It was taking forever to get to our destination, the train in front of us was holding things up so it was stop and go for a while. Finally we got to Metro Center and caught the Red line to Union Station where it was nuts! We had to find the line for our yellow gate tickets and then we had to find the END of the line, haha that took a LONG time. I swear the line was longer than any line at disneyland I have been in. I was freezing!! It was definitely like 18 degrees when we were out there, and the sun wasn't out yet. There was just so many people I was getting kind of scared, I also felt like I was the only person in the line that didn't vote for our new president, but hey, I have respect for him so it was a great experience. Anyway, so we were in line for about an hour and a half before the gates opened at 8am. Line was moving fairly quickly once it was 8am, then when I got to the screening point, I saw why haha. There were probably 30+ screening entrances it was insane, there was definitely more metal detectors there than in any airport haha. Anyway, so we get through security and we start walking towards our section, and the guy told us to go to the right so we did, and then we just walked into this standing area, but then we noticed that there were seats that said section 15 and our tickets said section 11, and so we went to see if we had seats, and sure enough we did! It was so cool! We sat next to some people from San Diego and they were really nice. As we were all trying to stay warm people were doing the electric slide, to running up and down the walk way. Then the celebrity sighting started. Common was sitting behind me, and so was Val Kilmer. Halle Berry and Jamie Foxx was definitely an area that was very hard to get to haha. Obviously Oprah was there but she is overrated in my opinion. Anyway the most amazing view was definitely behind me the millions of people backed all the way passed the Washington Monument, was simply amazing. It was beautiful especially to see so many of them with flags waving them all at once it was very pretty, my camera could only zoom so far but it was definitely a breath taking moment. Finally the procession of senate and congress began their entrance, and the special seating of the last presidents and what not. I was a little upset with the lack of respect that people had for some of the members. They booed Joe Lieberman, and John McCain (he already lost, chill out), and Bush. I was particularly angry with them booing Bush because he deserves a little bit of respect, no one could have done a better job with the situations he had to go through, let's get real. I don't agree with some of his ideals but I still have respect for a man courageous enough to take on a role such as leading such a large nation. (They also sang the song, Na Na Na Na, hey hey hey, good bye). Aretha Franklin didn't sound as good as I had hoped, I was a little disappointed there, but other than that it was a great ceremony and much shorter than it seems on tv. All in all, the wait, the hunger, and the cold were all well worth experiencing the most historical inauguration yet. It was a very emotional time for many, and a day where for once, everyone in America was connected. I do give Obama credit on his ability to bring peace and tranquility among the people of our nation. He has talent and I hope only to see brilliant ideals from him. I will give him a shot of course. Anyway, I'm off to bed finally, I am exhausted. Good night and I will post pictures soon!
Love
A-Ram

No comments:

Post a Comment